Sunday, March 29, 2009

More Reflection On Rilke

Rilke wrote,

Nothing good, once it has come into existence, may be suppressed. It assumes reality like a tree, on its own; it is, and it flowers, and it bears fruit. Nothing is lost: everything is passed along.

Do you believe that? Or, perhaps, is this more optimistic than you can accept? I struggle with subscribing to this view. It may be that I more readily see the power of those who oppose the good and who create their own reality to suppress the good. But then, as a Christian, I remember Easter. I affirm the good in the life and teaching of Jesus. I read in the Biblical account of the attempts to suppress that good. And, I see how that good has continued, despite times of it being diluted and perverted by human beings.

As we move into the climax of this Christian observance, reflect on Rilke's writings. Maybe, share this section with others. Commit yourself to helping create something good that will have long-lasting effects.

No comments: