Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Sticks and stones ... I guess

Churches are not immune to having unsolicited fax messages clog up their machine. Last week, I received one such unsolicited fax and noted the "if you received this fax in error" and want to unsubscribe, do this. So, I made the request to have our fax machine removed from their calling list.

Now, there have been duplicate messages received from The Judeo-Christian View in our church fax. The Judeo-Christian View espouses a very conservative agenda in both religion and politics. They have their right to hold such a view, though I would disagree with many of their positions that I have read. My contention with them is not with me disagreeing with them, but that they keep sending me stuff I do not want.

In the latest broadside from the group who evidently considers itself the sole keeper of the one and only Judeo-Christian understanding of the world - after I have asked them TWICE to remove our number from their automated call robot - all the ministers who do not agree with their perspective is deemed something less than a person of integrity. Let me quote: "Has your Pastor/Rabbi/Father joined the courageous Signatories yet ...? Has he offered up a single prayer seeking Sen. Obama's repentance for these policies, so desperately at odds with Scripture? Has your Shepherd spoken even one clear word on these monumental matters from the pulpit? Is your Shepherd a man of God ... or just a "holy pontificator" ... a church mouse ... a WIMP?

I will not even get into the male-dominated presumption of ministry they hold. This website is agitating against the Democratic Presidential nominee for his alleged social policies AND demanding that all true Christian ministers do the same, as all TRUE Christian ministers would be glad to do.

So, there it is, folks, you are evidently reading the words of a holy pontificator, church mouse, and WIMP, since I do not engage in any political haranguing from the pulpit. I guess this also puts me among those in America who do not love our country and who are not patriotic and who do not love God, as defined by Senator McCain and Governor Palin.

I would contact this site yet again, but who knows what more they would send me. I cannot wait for the election to be over, but I fear that this type of inflammatory rhetoric from the more conservative politically and religiously ones will only continue, regardless of who wins the election. I keep thinking that it is only words, but words can sometimes lead to hurt.

No comments: