Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Beck Strikes Again

This is one time, perhaps, that I wished I watched the Glenn Beck program. On the Religion News Service website, he has the "Quote of the Day."

The quote as run on RNS is: "I beg you, look for the words `social justice' or `economic justice' on your church Web site. If you find it, run as fast as you can. Social justice and economic justice, they are code words. Now, am I advising people to leave their church? Yes. "

I wish I watched that program because I would want to know the context for his remark. I happen to believe that justice is a major theme in Christian scripture and that scripture teaches and enjoins the person of faith to seek both social and economic justice. Thus, I have no clue what Mr. Beck was objecting to. Also, I wish I knew for what he thinks "social justice" and "economic justice" are codes.

When you check out a church website, do the phrases so condemned by Mr. Beck send you fleeing or do they pique your interest?

1 comment:

Charlotte Werner Ovard said...

Well, Mr. Beck just wants people to join his church (the Mormon Church) where social and economic justice are non-existent. -Charlotte