Friday, September 18, 2009

Divine Constitution, Part II

I hope you have read the comments posted to the original "Divine Constitution?". Those reactions should generate some more thinking about the assertion of the Constitution as something given to us by God.

I wondered then whether Glenn Beck promoted such an idea. It is very possible that he does. Salon.com posted a piece about Cleon Skousen whose writings and ideas seem to be a major influence on Mr. Beck, by his own admission. That article can be located at: www.salon.com/news/feature/2009/09/16/beck_skousen/.

In response to that last "Anonymous" comment on that previous post that I received, I would say this:

First, I stand by my comment that the words from the sign I mentioned were more in keeping with typical descriptions of Holy Scripture made by faithful believers than with someone who merely thinks the original writers may have been influenced by God. It suggests a level of divine truth that is meant to be seen as inerrant with every word given expressly by God - again, think of Holy Scripture - and that goes beyond mere human words.

Second, I have not read that any of the writers of the Constitution meant it to be more - or less - than a "Godless 'charter of negative liberties'". I know many people read their own views back into historic documents and those views may or may not be accurate.

Third, my reference to the 9 principles and the 12 values was only to set the stage for the sign. As I indicated, I have not paid any attention to the 9/12 project before, since I am not a devoted follower of Mr. Beck. I did find out, as I looked briefly at the website, that the project purports to be a call for all citizens to return to the sense of unity experienced in the country in the aftermath of the attacks of 9/11. Yet, in Utah at least, as the SLC Tribune reported, the rally was very much a partisan political event with the speakers calling for a return of the Republican Party to national leadership.

No comments: