Sunday, May 3, 2009

Celebrity Ministers

At least since the First Great Awakening in this country with George Whitefield and Jonathan Edwards holding forth, there have been ministers with celebrity status. It seems, though, that, from the advent of radio and television, the level of celebrity and the numbers of ministers having or seeking such celebrity has mushroomed.

I was reminded of this as I read about the recent Joel Osteen preaching engagement in New York City, held at the new Yankee Stadium. The event was even billed to focus attention on the message and the minister - An Evening of Hope With Joel and Victoria. Evidently, no one in New York needed to be told exactly who Joel and Victoria are. 40,000+ people paid $15 each to hear the wildly successful author and minister proclaim his message of hope. TBN - Trinity Broadcasting Network - filmed the evening and will get a lot of mileage for themselves from broadcasting it.

I wonder what people like Martin Luther would think about the "cult of celebrity" that has grown up around some ministers. I came across a quote from Luther, as he was defending his ministerial work, that may shed some light on what Luther's response would be:
And although I know and daily hear many people, who think slightingly of my poverty, and say that I write only little pamphlets and German sermons for the unlearned laity, this shall not disturb me. Would to God I had in all my life, with all the ability I have, helped one layman to be better! I would be satisfied, thank God, and be quite willing then to let all my little books perish.

The desire to help just one person be better defines true celebrity, I think. What think you?

1 comment:

pastor peggy said...

I agree with you totally and completely.
I am like Emily Dickinson....
"If I can keep one heart from breaking,
then I have not lived in vain."
Michael, Thank you for your powerful example of Christian Humility as my Christian Brother, and my minister.
Blessings to you and your family,
peggy b.
Lebanon, Kentcuky