Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Proving faith?

Last night, as I was cruising through the TV channels, I happened upon a religious program with a host whom I had never seen. As I listened to the show for a few minutes, I thought he [Peter Spencer] made some rather overblown claims showing the evil of evolutionary theory and its power in helping create and support both the Nazis in Germany, and Hitler especially, and the Communists in Russia, especially Stalin, and their murderous campaigns to exterminate whole people groups.

I noted the website and looked at it this morning. From the website comes this direct quotation about these claims:
"Peter has been invited to Central and Sout America this year as well to set up ministries for the Kingdom of God, Training missions for pastors, and crusades for the lost. In addition, he will be speaking to a exploding church of over 2 million souls, teaching on the True vs. Cosmetic Church. In these condensed, easy to understand studies, we prove that Jesus Christ literally raised from the dead. That the Bible can be scientifically, historically and mathematically proven to be inspired. And that through our teaching of the Word in clear, nugget form, anyone can defend the faith against the aggressive, and often murderous cults rising up worldwide. May God’s Vision prevail. Worldwide!"

I do not know what methods or techniques Spencer uses, but it seems to me that he confuses faith and proof. Even if one could prove "scientifically, historically and mathematically" - whatever he means by that - that the Bible is inspired - whatever that means - what does that do to the whole faith enterprise? I can prove mathematically that the Pythagorean Theorem is true, or I can replicate Boyle's experiments about the action of gases and confirm them. Thus, I do not have to accept either by faith.

It seems that the Biblical witness about faith versus proof is simple, "Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." Personally, I think this is the better way, even if I would probably be relegated to the "cosmetic church" by Mr. Spencer.

No comments: