Thursday, January 29, 2009

It was only a matter of time, I suppose.

In the midst of the euphoria over and celebration during the Inauguration of President Barack Obama, it was hard to imagine anyone in the country who was not thrilled about the results of the election. Even some Republicans were saying nice things about the new President.

Now, I can confidently say that the honeymoon is over. In addition to the widely quoted remarks made by talk-radio impressario, Rush Limbaugh, hoping that President Obama will fail, there was a post made on World Net Daily [http://wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=86469] the day before the Inauguration that may well sum up the response of many within the most conservative Christian groups.

Joseph Farah goes beyond Limbaugh's hope for an Obama administration failure. Farah calls for faithful Christians to invoke God's help in guaranteeing such a failure. The post is entitled "Pray Obama Fails" and insists that the Bible does not enjoin Christians to pray for the success of government when that government is "evil." Instead, says Farah, "nowhere does the Bible ever suggest evil rulers are to be obeyed." Further, he states, "I want Obama to fail because his agenda is 100 percent at odds with God's. Pretending it is not simply makes a mockery of God's straightforward Commandments. So you will not see me joining in the ritual of affirming Obama and his mission in public or private prayer this week – or any other week."

So, regardless of who your choice for President was, do you think you should pray for God to insure that President Obama fails? Do you think Obama's administrative goals are 100% at odds with God's? Do you think President Bush's goals were 100% in line with God's?

1 comment:

Anne Jolly said...

Hmmm . . .Let me think about this. Do I think Obama's goals are 100% at odds with Gods?
Well, Obama wants health care for all Americans. Hopefully God wants good health for his people as well.
Obama wants to take care of the planet God created. I think God would like that.
Obama wants to create jobs to put people back to work. I think I remember that God believes in work. Quite a few verses about that, in fact.
Obama wants to end a war that was started for the wrong reasons. I'm not sure that I find anywhere in the life and works of Jesus that he advocates people attacking and kill one another.
Well, I guess I'd have to suggest that Mr. Farah read the Bible a bit more and get a better handle on God's agenda. I rather think God is happy with many aspects of President Obama.