Wednesday, November 19, 2008

How much happiness have you had?

Buried deep within my files was this quote from a Muslim ruler in Spain in the 10th Century:

I have now reigned about 50 years in victory or peace, beloved by my subjects, dreaded by my enemies, and respected by my allies. Riches and honors, power and pleasure, have waited on my call, nor does any earthly blessing appear to have been wanting to my felicity. In this situation, I have diligently numbered the days of pure and genuine happiness which have fallen to my lot. They amount to fourteen.

Certainly, by his own description, Abd Er-Rahman, had everything we normally associate with happiness and had it in abundance. Yet, in 50 years, more than 18000 days, he believed that he had experienced only 14 days of "pure and genuine" happiness.

As always, that made me think. How many days of happiness have I had? What criteria would I use to evaluate my happiness? Would my standards necessitate a solid 24 hours of feeling happy or would 12 hours and 1 minute of happiness be enough to qualify as a day? Would a particular feeling define my happiness or would it be based on some more rational process?

What about you? How many days of happiness have you had? How do you evaluate what makes you happy?

No comments: