Thursday, September 11, 2008

Reflections on Faith and American Politics 2008 - 2nd Verse

I was asked in a comment to my last posting where to find a transcript to the Saddleback Forum. Several unofficial versions exist on the internet, but, at http://www.rickwarrennews.com/, you can find the 'official' final transcript. I know I will have other comments to make about the questions asked by Rick Warren, since there were so many questions that dealt explicitly or implicitly with issues of faith. You, though, may want to read the full transcript yourself.

Before delving more deeply into the Presidential candidates, I would like to join the fray about the Republican Vice Presidential candidate. It has been widely reported that Sarah Palin was raised in a Roman Catholic household, but she has spent most of her religious life in Pentecostal or Assemblies of God or Independent "Bible" type churches. Those on the political right have rejoiced over John McCain's choice; those on the political left have bemoaned the choice.

While I have major theological disagreements with that segment of Christianity, Governor Palin's personal religious affiliation does not bother me. From my perspective, she could be Ba'hai, Quaker, Muslim, Buddhist, Congregationalist, or anything else and that would be fine. Here, I am in agreement with Thomas Jefferson who wrote in a letter in 1813, "Religion is a subject on which I have ever been most scrupulously reserved. I have considered it as a matter between every man and his Maker in which no other, and far less the public, had a right to intermeddle." So, Governor Palin's personal religious views do not bother me unless her particular views become the basis for legislation that would then be applied to all people, even to those who do not share her views.

Will this happen? No one can know at this point. Governor Palin, of course, is quick to assert that she can separate her personal religious views from her public responsibilities. I hope she is correct. The fervency with which the Assemblies of God, Pentecostal, and Independent Bible folks I have met throughout my life hold to their religious views make me think that Governor Palin's views will have an impact on her. In a CNN interview, one of the Governor's former pastors declared that he has no doubt her religious beliefs will influence her decision making when it comes to government policy. Will this be good for the country? No one can know at this point, but I do not think it will be a good thing.

There have already been some public pronouncements about things that make me squirm. For example, her comfort level in having some form of intelligent design taught in science classes and her statement identifying the construction of a gas pipeline in Alaska with God's will make me uncomfortable. The next several weeks will certainly be interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your disagreement with Sarah Palin's beliefs make me wonder what you would wish to have in their place. I can't imagine that you would not want a public servant to have a strong sense of ethics and a moral compass. Evidently morals based on her Christianity trouble you however. You talk about legislation, when in fact she is running on a ticket to take an executive role. What executive decisions, based on Christian ethics and morals would be bad? What would you have in their place. I would not like to be governed by amoral executives, although we all have an awful lot of experience with that!
Second, do you not believe that God has a plan for the world, and that things are unfolding according to his plan?