Friday, August 29, 2008

Ponderings about Another Voice

Way back on December 19, 2007, I started this blog. I confessed then that I would probably ramble around, bringing up many different topics from post to post. If you have been reading this since then, you, no doubt, would agree. I also confessed that I would probably make this issues oriented. I think the majority of my posts have dealt with some issue, rather than being an account of my life.

My modus operandus, whether in an academic setting or in a parish setting, has always been to bring up things that I hope would get someone to think. On this blog, I have followed that pattern as well. I have included things that struck my fancy, made me think about things from a different perspective, or outraged me. I frequently include statements from others with which I do not agree. I have never made claims for consistency in viewpoint. Consistency in that way is impossible for me as a gadfly.

All that said, I have questions for the readership of this blog. Has this little piece of the internet provided you with something to think about? Have you considered a position from a new angle from something you have read? Have you used something I have posted as a springboard to do some reading and research of your own?

I will be curious to hear your response.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on 128 Blogs in 255 days, roughly an every other day thing I guess, but the pace seems to have been slowing! You have made me think, Mission Accomplished as they say!

Anonymous said...

Several weeks ago, you speculated that if you knew that your days were limited, you would "6. I would gather a group of folks with whom I could talk about current issues and struggle with classic human questions."

I would hope that this is what this blog would be in a virtual way, in case you have still not done this for real. It is confusing though to try and figure out what are your opinions, and what are not, when you duck and weave under the "gadfly" cover.

In thinking about this further, I guess that real struggling would have to be done in person, with an unavoidable and growing familiarity. The virtual world is too detached to accomplish your real goal with any interpersonal quality. How can you really struggle with the human condition alone? Isolation should not be the true human condition, and the practice of religion requires interpersonal interaction!

Anonymous said...

Your blog has certainly made me think about events over the last couple of weeks. First, as you and Kirk Cameron would say, the Lord has blessed Barack Obama and the Democrats with good weather as they ordained "the chosen one" in the their greek temple at Invesco Field. Apparently God is not happy with Republicans for McCains choice of a young woman for vice president, as he is punishing their convention with a hurricane.
It remains to be seen if God will punish New Orleans for re-electing Ray Nagin, or bless them for choosing Bobby Jindal as their new governor!?