Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Multiculturalism? Not in my neighborhood!

I have had several opportunities to voice some of the things I have discovered about SLC that I did not expect. Most often I remark on the diversity of the city. This diversity includes both ethnic and national background and religion. Just down the hall in the apartment complex where we live is a Muslim family from India, for example. I am looking forward to being part of the interfaith community in the city.

Yet, I am aware of the continuing resistance to accept those who are different from them. I choose not to use the word 'tolerance' for I see that as suggesting the enlightened view of a majority toward those who are in the minority. If I tolerate you, I place myself in a position of superiority over you and hint that I could withdraw my gracious offer at any time. So, I think of acceptance -- the emotion expressed in the Civil Rights standard, "We Shall Overcome" with the verse, "We'll walk hand in hand ... some day."

Toward that end, it might be helpful to contemplate what one of my PhD seminary friends wrote nearly 10 years ago. Rob Sellers, and his wife Janie, served as Southern Baptist missionaries in one of the most religiously diverse countries of the world, Indonesia. When they left the mission field, he went to Hardin-Simmons University, in west Texas, to serve on faculty. On November 2, 1999, he addressed the college community in chapel. His title was "In Defense of Multiculturalism," and he asked the question of this very un-diverse community of why they should be concerned with multiculturalism.

Rob made the following points:
1. "First, because it is appropriate. This is the personal answer. Racial, religious, or social discrimination is our problem."
2. "Second, we should accommodate discussion about multi-culturalism because it is smart. This is the practical answer. ... We learn from others whose viewpoint differs from our own."
3. "Third, we accept others because it is right. This is the political answer. 'Justice for all' is our national heritage."
4. "[Fourth], we look out for others because to do so is good! This is the moral answer. Morality demands more of us than legality."
5. "[Finally], we reach out to others because it is compassionate. This is the Christian answer. Tolerance is the secular answer, the philosophical norm. But love is Jesus' way. And love is more demanding than tolerance."

In the midst of growing hatred and intolerance of people in our world, wouldn't it be wonderful if all of the people in America who believe in "God or a supernatural force" (that would be more than 90% of us) would embrace these values?

No comments: