Sunday, July 13, 2008

Hijacking sacred texts?

Growing up in a Southern Baptist church, I was taught a healthy respect for the Biblical text. I heard the Biblical stories on Sunday, both in Sunday School and in sermons. I was taught how important it is to memorize portions of the text and to read the text. Because of this background, I have a high level of Biblical literacy. I appreciate that. Yet, I also know that I have different understandings of the meaning of some of the Biblical texts than many of my friends in the Baptist church.

One other group that has a strong sense of the importance of sacred texts is Islam. Muslims also hear the stories of the Qur'an and memorize the text, and read the text. Yet, some Muslims have different understandings of the meaning of some of the Qur'anic texts.

In the May 6 issue of Christian Century, Mona Siddiqui, an Islamic theologian, had some interesting comments to make. She recognizes, for example, that there is Qur'anic justification for husbands to beat their wives. BUT, she also says that Muslims cannot 'hijack' one verse from the Qur'an to justify the oppression of women and ignore the larger principles of Islam.

That is the part that most resonates with me. It seems that many people, in all faith traditions, latch onto, or hijack, one verse or one small section of verses that are indeed in the sacred text, but which violate the larger principles embodied in the entire text.

Wouldn't it be better for all people of faith to seek to have those over-arching principles define our life of faith and not some hijacked verses?

No comments: