Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Much Ado About Scientology

As a new, and very unauthorized, biography about Tom Cruise is published and a 2004 video in which he extols the virtues of Scientology has been leaked, it seems that the various news outlets, ranging from the 'tabloid-esque' celebrity news programs to the staid BBC finds it - the book, the video, the celebrity, or the religion - impossible to ignore.

It probably would be important for me to make a full disclosure at this point. I feel I know more about Scientology than the average 'person-on-the-street.' I included it in a class on American Religions I taught at Plymouth Congregational Church in Wichita Kansas a few years ago. My sources included literature published by the Scientologists and material written by critics of the church, including former members. I remain a skeptic of their claims. I am also not a big fan of Tom Cruise, as an actor, and I despair over the 'cult of personality' that seems to thrive in America. I also have not seen the entire video myself, though I have seen bits of it on TV and read selected transcripts of the actor's remarks, nor have I read the biography.

According to the BBC report, Mr. Cruise is evidently one who takes his religious commitment very seriously and who truly believes all that his church teaches. He certainly should have, and does have, the right to his views.

I would make these observations:
- His comments seem to be taken almost verbatim from the official church line. From the book, What Is Scientology: Based on the Works of L. Ron Hubbard, published by Bridge Publications (an official publishing concern of the church) and copyrighted in 1998, "Scientology offers man his greatest hope for a new world, free of the misery, pain and conflict that has plagued us for so long."
- In the BBC article, Cruise is quoted as saying, "We are the authorities on getting people off drugs, we are the authorities on the mind, we are the authorities on improving conditions... we can rehabilitate criminals... we can bring peace and unite communities." Yet, I have seen no objective, third-party, scientifically reviewed and verified studies substantiating any of these claims. Again, referencing the book, the claims are made that Scientologists have fewer accidents, are healthier, make better grades, read more books, and drink less than average. If this is true, and it is attributable to Scientology, why not verify?
- The quote that really got to me, though, was this one. "Being a Scientologist, when you drive past an accident it's not like anyone else. As you drive past, you know you have to do something about it because you know you're the only one that can really help." What did he mean by that? Do Scientologists believe they can undo the physical trauma suffered by accident victims? Are they the only ones who can offer any emotional support and comfort?

Part of the genius of the American experience is the diversity of religious expression that is allowed. The fact that there is no state supported religion and that the state is not to encourage one religion over another gives each person the freedom to worship as she wants.

I just wish 'the perfect storm' of the news frenzy would subside.

No comments: