Tuesday, January 29, 2008

In for a Penny, In for a Pound

I am known far and wide as a frugal person. I guess, in part, that is because I have never had much money. In part, it is because I find it horrific to spend more for something than it is really worth. So, there were three news stories I recently read that just “stupefied” me. (That is an obscure reference to the movie L’il Abner.)

Last Sunday, January 20, in the Week In Review Section of the New York Times was a story about how the trend toward Mass Affluence, I would call it very conspicuous consumption, might be over because of the crashing economy. In the piece, it was mentioned that some people might no longer buy a $700 Coach handbag, a $1450 Burberry Trench Coat, a $345 cast iron Dutch Oven or a $200 pair of blue jeans, but may have to settle for less expensive substitutes.

Then, on a sports site, it was reported that Shaquille O’Neal, now the famed center for the Miami Heat, spends $875,000 a month on average. Among his expenses are: $24,300 for gas, $17,220 for clothes, and $12,775 for food. This is not an annual amount; this is how much he spends EVERY month. That means Shaq spends $291,600 a year on gas.

Finally, in the current issue of The New Yorker, is the story of a woman who served as the catalyst for a class action suit against Bed Bath & Beyond for falsely advertising it sold linen products of a higher thread count than they actually were. Most of the purchasers will receive refunds and discount certificates. The lawyers who brought the suit, though, are to receive “up to $290,000.” Nearly $300,000 for a lawsuit about the quality of bed sheets.

Can you see why I was “stupefied”? These are outrageous dollar amounts. Covenant Congregational Church, where I serve as the pastor, is spear-heading an effort, through the Souper Bowl of Caring, to raise money for local hunger relief agencies. I am going to speak to the Leadership Council – the heads of various student organizations – of Piedmont College to try to enlist student organizations to join with us. If we collect $50 and 100 cans of food, we will have done a lot.

I just wish I knew some of those people who paid $200 for blue jeans to ask for a contribution.

No comments: